Wednesday, April 16, 2014
We're back this week with our second installment of our Girl Behind the Rug feature, this time with our friend, Anne Sage. We challenged Anne to find a rug in our shop that speaks to her personality, and then share it with us and her readers. You can read about her design style and her picks below.
"I used the 'Organic' filter on the site's 'Shop by Style' function to select this unadorned yet unforgettable wool fringe area rug, then layered it with a Bauhaus-inspired graphic rug by Los Angeles artisans Commune. The two together suit my taste perfectly; their neutral sensibilities make them classic and versatile, with the interest coming from subtle details like texture, pattern, and workmanship rather than loud, look-at-me styling. In other words, they're like the jeans and white button-down of rugs!" - Anne Sage
We love this look and how cute is her pup Sadie?! Stay tuned for next week's Girl Behind the Rug series. If you missed last week's post, catch A Piece of Toast dishing on their style here.
Monday, April 14, 2014
Easter is almost here! These delicious cupcakes are dense, sweet, and perfectly springy. Package them in an egg carton for extra Easter goodness!
For the Vanilla Mini Cupcakes
Yeild: About 36 Mini Cupcakes
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line a mini cupcake pan with mini cupcake liners.
1. Start by creaming the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, one by one, until well incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients.
4. Mix together the oil and whipping cream in a small bowl.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in thirds, alternating with the oil and whipping cream. Add the vanilla extract. Mix just until the mixture is well combined.
5. Add the batter to a large piping bag to pipe batter into the liners. If you don't have a piping bag, a small cookie scoop will do. Fill the cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
5. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean.
For the Orange Frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Zest from one orange
1/2 cup shredded or flaked coconut
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter for 6 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and milk and whip for another 4 minutes. Add the vanilla and orange zest and whip until the frosting is light, airy, and smooth.
Pipe a small dollop of frosting on each cupcake and dip the cupcakes in coconut. Top with some sprinkles if you wish, and enjoy!
How are you celebrating Easter?!
Photos and Recipe by Jenna Kincaid for Lulu & Georgia
Friday, April 11, 2014
Introducing a new series to Lulu & Georgia called Girl Behind the Rug. In this series, we have asked some of our favorite gals to choose a rug from our shop, tell us about their design style, and pick a few things to sit on the rug that describe them as a person. Hopefully through this sweet little series, you'll be able to learn more about the girls behind our L&G rugs.
Up first are our girls over at A Piece of Toast. Sally and Molly are two of the cutest, most stylish ladies we know, so they were the perfect duo to take this challenge on first. You can read all about their favorite things on their blog, but for now we're sharing a bit about their personal design style:
"Our interior style is mostly classic/traditional mixed with contemporary/modern and it definitely compliments with our personalities…both of us are super sensitive to interior environments and we love that the apartment we share is cozy and comfortable but comprised of pieces that look tailored and accessorized with personal touches. Having a great rug is one of the best ways to anchor a room and it adds instant coziness."
We adore our Catalina rug in their home. What is your personal style?!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Here's a dose of what we've been up to on Instagram as of lately…
1. We're obsessed with this den by @laybabylay. Our green Organic Diamonds lamp made it in the mix and we think it's perfect :)
2. Our owner of Lulu & Georgia, Sara, got hitched a few weeks ago at The Parker in Palm Springs. The hotel was nothing short of amazing! Here is the lobby we were all obsessed with...
4. We made this delicious Spring-like tart over the weekend!
5. Fresh flowers are always the right way to start your week. Are we right?!
You can follow along with us on Instagram and be sure to share all the Lulu & Georgia goodies you have in your home using the hashtag #LandGatHome so we can find you and regram it! :)
Monday, April 7, 2014
Friday, April 4, 2014
Spring is coming and that means festival season! We love the cool, laid-back style that comes with live music and sunshine, and we especially love it for the home! Which look is your favorite?
*all images found via Pinterest